Megan is a partner at ALG. She is an experienced trial and appellate advocate, regularly appearing at all levels of court.
Megan is dedicated to finding creative solutions for her clients. She defends people facing all manner of charges, from shoplifting to murder. She has a particular interest in sexual assault litigation, privacy law, and the problem of justice system delay. She is consulted by individuals, boards, organizations and corporations on criminal and constitutional issues.
Megan is a director of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association for 2019-2021. She serves on the CLA’s Litigation Committee and is a former member of the Advocate Society’s Young Advocates Standing Committee. She acts as duty counsel for the Ontario Court of Appeal’s Inmate Appeal Duty Counsel Program. She is a sought-after speaker on criminal law issues in the media and at conferences. In 2019, Megan received the Precedent Setter Award, which recognizes lawyers for excellence and leadership in the legal community within their first ten years of practice.
Megan earned her J.D. from the University of Toronto and holds a Bachelor of Arts from McGill University in English literature and North American politics. Before joining ALG, she clerked at the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal.
- R. v. Walker, 2019 ONCA 765
- R. v. Esseghaier, 2019 ONCA 672
- R. v. R.V., 2019 SCC 41
- John v. The Regional Municipality of Peel Police Service Board, 2019 HRTO 218
- Camp v. Canada (Attorney General), 2017 FC 240
- R. v. N.S., 2017 ONCJ 128
- R. v. Wallace, 2017 ONSC 132; 2016 ONSC 5512
- World Bank Group v. Wallace, 2016 SCC 15
- R. v. A.B., 2015 ONCA 803
- U.S.A. v. Nguyen, 2013 ONSC 4842
- R. v. Frimpong, 2013 ONCA 243
- R. v. Huang, 2013 ONCA 240
AS INTERVENER for the Criminal Lawyers’ Association
- R. v. Goldfinch, 2019 SCC 38
- R. v. Barton, 2019 SCC 33
- Ontario (Environment, Conservation and Parks) v. Henry of Pelham Inc., 2018 ONCA 999
- R. v. Cody, 2017 SCC 31
- R. v. Gowdy, 2016 ONCA 989
- R. v. Donnelly, 2016 ONCA 988
AS INTERVENER for the Canadian Civil Liberties Association
Megan Savard Wins 2019 Precedent Setter Award
Interview regarding Bill C-75, CTV News, March 29, 2018
Savard, Megan and Frank Addario, “The fast and the furious 11(b): Is the speedy trial a dying franchise?” The Advocates Journal, Summer 2017.
“Is it time to reinvent Canada’s criminal justice system?” CBC Cross-Country Check-Up with Duncan McCue, June 16, 2017.
“Adjusting to the Jordan Decision,” The Agenda with Steve Paikin, May 25, 2017.
Kari, Shannon, “Ruling impacts defence scheduling post-Jordan,” Law Times, May 8, 2017.
Savard, Megan and Frank Addario, “R. v. Lahiry, Unreasonable Delay, and How Life Imitates the Planet Pluto,” For the Defence, June 2013.